Having plants in your house is not only good for aesthetic reasons, but for health reasons as well. Plants produce oxygen, and also remove toxins and mold from the air.
NASA carried out a research on plants and found out that some plants are better and faster than others when it comes to clearing the air in your home. They not only filter the organic compounds, but also dust, paint and other building materials.
Here we give you a list of the six wonder plants that will clear your air in no time:
– Ficus (Ficus Elastica): This plant cleans out formaldehyde very effectively. It does not need a lot of light, which makes it quite easy to take care of, however it’s leaves being poisonous might make it dangerous if you have small children or pets.
– Spider plant (ChlorophytumComosum) – This plant is amazing, considering that only one can clean up 200 square metres of space using minimal lighting. It can effectively get rid of styrene, carbon monoxide, formaldehyde and gasoline.
– Aloe – Aloe also absorbs formaldehyde as well as carbon dioxide and carbon monoxide. Furthermore, it really increases the levels of oxygen, doing the job of nine biological air purifiers.
– Snake planet (SansevieriaTrifasciata “Laurentii”)- This plant is ideal for the bedroom, as it removes toxins and produces oxygen at night, and does so with minimal lighting. It is ideal to keep at home as it is very resilient.
– Ivy (Hedera Helix) – Ivy is a must have in every home, as it can purify 60% of the air toxins and 58% of feces particles in a time span of six hours.
– Peace lilies (Spathiphyllum “Mauna Loa”) – It is very efficient in removing toxins from the air such as trichloroethylene and formaldehyde.
According to NASA, an area of 500 square metres should house 15-18 of these plants, which means that for 80 square metres 3-4 should do the trick. Putting one in the bedroom is very important as it is a place where we spend a lot of our time.